An Example of How Long A Content Marketing Effort Will Continue To Produce Traffic
The Extremely High ROI Potential From A Competent Content Marketing Effort
Courting search engine traffic is typically a much longer-term effort than most forms of "paid" traffic acquisition. But the rewards can also come for a long period of time. The question becomes how much, how long and what the content strategy and execution is that can assure long-term returns.
How One Software As A Service Company Has Benefited from Effective Content Marketing
- Setup of discrete tracking measurements and goals and segregation of all new content to ensure that the effect of that content could be isolated from the rest of the 1,000 page website
- "Expanded emphasis on benchmarking which search terms were currently driving organic traffic to core conversion areas portion of site, and check progress of optimization efforts to increase traffic from these and other targeted terms.
- Focus on both capture of new traffic to the site (as landing pages) and as a means to increase depth of use of the site, beyond the product focus that most of their competitors were focusing on
- Design content to help move prospects through sales funnel by linking instructional "how to" and basic informational pages with more specific interests that buyers may have such as features and functionality needed and finally pricing and competitor comparisons
- Ensure that potential customers were not "removed" from funnel by placing unnecessary information that would move them out of the funnel path
- Compliment and leverage their existing site information, in particular a well-designed user documentation system that was often consulted by those in a a pre-sale mode
What We Did
- Competitive scan of both organic and paid advertising to isolate major themes of emphasis versus current ranking position as a precursor (addition) to our normal keyword research module
- Examination of buying cycle and funnel effects by different content approaches to understand what interested prospects at each buying stage
- Creation of an industry reference style "glossary" with key terms used in the articles themselves and throughout the rest of the site to increase search engine visibility and keyword linking support
- Created an editorial plan and the creation and publishing of topic-driven content with proper SEO support
- After completing an initial placement series and confirming initial traffic increases, "fast-tracked" remaining content by segmenting research into modules to allow creation of multiple articles from single reference source
The Results Of Diligent Content Marketing
- Nearly 27,000 unique visitors at a per visit cost that was less than 1/3 that of an equivalent pay per click traffic stream
- A per conversion cost of just over $200, well within the program goal
- 5.3% of all users visiting the site, visited at least one of the added pages, compared to a site wide average of 2.5% (excluding the home page)
- The added pages were just as effective as the rest of the site in attracting new visitors, acting as landing pages in the same ratio as the existing inner content pages with a landing rate (vs. internal navigation as referrer) of 74%
There are many areas this project did not touch, notably any type of conversion optimization or more in-depth content topic testing and expansion, but the effort established a platform for further improvement through optimization and expansion.